Earlier this week I made a batch of cupcakes for children’s brand AKID, based off their new collaborative shoe line with Mini Mode. The shoes feature fun patches, which I recreated in cupcake form for the launch party. I had some leftover smiley face designs, so thought I’d share the how-to for these fun patch cupcakes. Continue on to find out how!
Since my new ban.do agenda is telling me today is National Coffee Day, I thought I’d round up some of the most delicious coffee recipes I’ve found online. Here’s to saving money and kicking that Starbucks habit!
Hello again! As you may have noticed, I took a week off from the blog. Blogging seemed like a task last week and I hated that feeling, especially since this is something I do (and have always done!) simply because I love to do it. With September weddings, design jobs, prop jobs, outside DIY projects, and everything else, putting together a new post for the blog was just not going to happen last week. Thankfully I’ve just wrapped up the two larger, more demanding jobs of the month and while I’m not at the end of the tunnel that is my September workload just yet, I can see the light and that means more just-for-fun projects will be happening soon. In fact, I just shot a delicious DIY for tomorrow, so make sure to come back for that.
In other news, I felt like sharing some random (very random) thoughts on my mind at the moment, so here that goes…
- Last Monday I got to see my blogger gal pal, Ashley Rose of Sugar & Cloth. I absolutely adore her and love that I can have internet friends who also make awesome real life friends, because IRL>URL. We shared many laughs as we food hopped our way around downtown. She was in town for an event so we had to part ways in the afternoon, even though I had the urge to keep her at my side all day.
- I finally started using my Snapchat and I am OBSESSED! I used to love the personal level of Instagram and would post silly, fairly personal, and actually insta snaps, without worrying about how they looked or if the photos would get a lot of “Likes”. Not sure when it changed to be more of a professional look at what I’ve been working on, but I miss the personal aspect of it and feel like I have that back with Snapchat now. The posts I’ve made so far mostly involve me being weird, my pets, and Taylor Swift singalongs, with just a small look at things I’m working on – and even then it’s never a perfect or styled look. It’s actually real and totally and completely me. I have the same username on there as I do on Instagram (@alanajonesmann), so feel free to follow along if you’re interested.
- I recently purchased THIS book and am blown away by all the knitting that can be done by just using your hands (no needles, people!). The author, Anne Weil (also the blogger behind Flax & Twine) is such a genius! It is a beautifully photographed, thoughtful book, with so many great project tutorials, including a faux sheepskin (pictured above), ottoman poufs, rugs, scarves, cabled blankets, and so much more. I highly recommend you spend the $11 and get yourself a copy.
- Two weeks ago I didn’t want to even hear anyone drop the approaching F word, but now I feel I’ve come to terms with the quickly approaching Fall season and am actually really looking forward to all the magic it brings. Baking in a kitchen that isn’t miserably hot, leaves changing colors, cider, sweater weather, apples, apple pie…I’m now ready for you Fall, so come on over!
- Speaking of Fall and baking, THIS baked oatmeal recipe on DesignLoveFest looks so dang good!
- THIS is the coolest “kids” craft I’ve seen in a while!
- THESE geometric paper animals from Wolfram Kampffmeyer – so good!
- And while we’re on the topic of paper inspiration, I am loving THESE collaged paper cutouts by Morgana Wallace.
- I was trying to name this post and instantly thought of THIS from Community. It has nothing to do with this post, but it does go along with the randomness of it and…NO WORRIES. Oh how that show made me laugh! I miss it. Speaking of missing television, I miss the Bravermans something fierce. Parenthood forever.
I’ll stop there before it gets even more random. Make sure to come on back tomorrow for that new DIY!
Lead Photo from Knitting Without Needles
3. These Custom Notebooks from LovelyIndeed are just too good!
4. Throwing in my Tropical Wallpaper Cakes tutorial (ain’t no shame in my game!)
5. Leave it to the ladies of A Beautiful Mess to make this Nightstand Makeover look so easy.
6. A Palm Leaf Pillow that only takes 10 minutes to make?! Count me in!
Summer may technically be coming to an end, but it is still hot as ever in New York…and pretty much all over the US, if my weather app is telling me the truth. I’m personally not ready to jump into Fall flavors yet, and since there’s still plenty of in-season fruit to enjoy I decided to whip up one more summery recipe. For this recipe, I created a blackberry and lemon vodka cocktail. For an emphasis on the berry flavor I used the Huckleberry Vodka from 44North and it was de-licious! But, regular vodka works great too. And for those of you who prefer your drinks sans alcohol, just use seltzer instead of the vodka for a refreshing fruit-filled drink. Continue on below for the full recipe!
While I recapped my top DIY summer desserts over here on Monday, I wanted to share some of my favorite summery DIY projects I’ve seen on the web this season as well. Here are just a few of the amazing projects that caught my eye. Summer ain’t over yet folks, so get crafting while you still can!
1. Paper Plants from TheHouseThatLarsBuilt // 2. Fruit Slice Balloons from StudioDIY // 3. Flamingo Ring Toss from Sugar&Cloth // 4. Popsicle Party Decor from OhHappyDay // 5. Painted Pineapple Ukulele from LovelyIndeed // 6. Watermelon Beach Ball from Sarah Hearts