Craft On: Pie Container Place Cards
Here’s one more place card DIY for today…which you may remember from last year. Well, since this place card DIY was a favorite of mine, I decided to make a video tutorial for the pie containers as part of my “Craft On” series with ulive. What I love most about these containers as they not only are amazing as to-go boxes for pie, but they also are perfect personalized place cards for your Thanksgiving table. First, download the template below and then click play to watch the video. Full directions are included at the bottom of the post – just in case you get stuck.
- Tan Colored Card Stock
- Pencil + Ruler
- Hot Glue Gun
- Construction Paper + Red Tissue Paper (for the cherry)
- Decorative Scissors
- Glue Stick
- Wax Paper
- Optional: Toothpick + Paper
Step #1: First, download the pie container template and print the template out onto a semi-thick neutral colored card stock. You want the paper just thin enough to be able to crease, while still being sturdy. For each place card, print out a template, cut along the solid lines, and fold/score the dotted lines.
Step #3: Use hot glue to glue the bottom of the card stock container, by gluing on the tabs marked “glue” (Note: illustrate “glue” on the 3 tabs in video). Once hot glued, hold in place to secure shut.
Step #4 – Decorate Pies:
For the Cherry Pie (as shown in video):
- Cover the top and sides of your pie by gluing red paper atop the card stock. Make sure to leave some of the tan card stock visible on the sides for the crust.
- Use the tan colored card stock to cut out a crust for your pie. Glue the crust to the outer backside of the container.
- For the lattice pie crust, cut thin strips of the tan card stock with decorative scissors. Use a glue stick to glue strips diagonally.
- For the cherry, make a ball out of red tissue paper and glue atop pie. Cut and curl a thin sliver of red paper for the stem and glue to cherry.
For the other pie flavors, here’s a few tips:
- Follow along with the same steps shown for the cherry pie, just swap out the paper color (i.e. orange for red for the pumpkin pie container)
- For the whipped cream topping, cut out a starburst pattern and glue the ends of each piece inwards towards the center
- Be creative and have fun with it!
Step #5: Line each container with a piece of wax paper.
Step #6: For the personalized flag topper, glue a strip of paper onto a toothpick and write your guest’s name. Poke the top of the toothpick into the top of the container. And for that leftover pie after your Thanksgiving meal, send each guest home with a slice!