DIY: Autumn Garland
There’s something about a detailed 6-point leaf that just does not look good as a paper cutout. So, for this Autumn-inspired garland, I decided to use a neutral-colored, oblong-shaped leaf. And good news friends, this paper garland can be made on the cheap. Like under $5 cheap! It looks great on a mantle, above an alcove, along a table, or even when used as a table runner. DIY tutorial is below.
- Ribbon (recommended length: 2 yards)
- Kraft paper (1 roll), cut into leaf shapes
- Stapler and Scissors
- Optional: Pinecones, Floral Wire, Push-pins
1. For my garland I used 68″ of ribbon. Depending on how long or short you want yours, you’ll need to adjust the quantity of leaves you cut. For 68″ of ribbon, here are the quantities I cut using the Kraft paper:
- 46 leaves at 3″ x 2″ (length x width)
- 24 leaves at 2.5″ x 2″
- 24 leaves at 2″ x 1.5″
Once you have your leaves, make a horizontal crease to each leaf, applying pressure to ensure the crease remains. With the leaf folded in half, make diagonal creases to achieve a more realistic leaf look.
2. Starting at one end of your ribbon, staple 2 leaves at a time (positioned diagonally) to your ribbon. Use only half of your small and medium leaves, saving the other portions for the other side of the garland. Once you’ve finished with the large leaves, finish the remaining medium and small leaves. However, it’s important to note that when you get to the small leaves, position them the opposite way as your previous leaves, to allow this portion to hang down.
3. Center your garland along your desired display location and use leftover ribbon or a push-pin to secure the middle of your garland. Affix the 2 remaining corners of your garland. If you prefer an extra little seasonal touch, use jewelry or floral wire to hang pinecones at each corner. And there you have it!
thriftykristyNovember 13, 2012 at 8:04 am
I love this! So simple yet such a nice statement. Great job! xo Kristin
alanajonesmannNovember 13, 2012 at 8:06 am
thanks so much, kristin! xx
Monday Wednesday Motivation: Autumn DIYs | Alana Jones-MannNovember 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm
[…] Illuminated Leaf Vase // 2. Autumn Garland // 3. Pilgrim Dog Costume // 4. Gold Leaf […]
Comments are closed.