DIY: Pumpkin Vase
Oh hello, pretty pumpkin! I wanted an elegant little touch of Halloween spirit for the home so decided to make this little vase for our living room. For this project I used a medium-sized pumpkin and turned it into a vase that is the perfect host for a fresh autumnal floral mix. My DIY tutorial is below. Enjoy!
- Spray paint
- Flower assortment
- Optional: Empty plastic water bottle, cut in half
1. Take your pumpkin to a ventilated area and give it a good 2 coats of spray paint, allowing dry time in between coats. Once 2 coats have been applied, let the pumpkin sit overnight for the paint to set.
2. Using a knife, carve out a circular hole in the top of your pumpkin. Pull out the stem. Using a spoon, scrape out the inside goop and seeds.
3. Pick out some flowers for your vase and pour about 1.5″ of water in the bottom. I picked out this variety of autumnal-colored flowers at a local farmer’s market.
Note: If you’d like to get the most optimal amount of lifespan out of your vase, cut an empty plastic water bottle in half (approx. the height of your pumpkin), add water, and insert into the pumpkin. I was feeling risky and decided to chance it and forgo the plastic bottle, using the pumpkin as the actual vase. It’s been 6 days as of now, and the little guy still looks great!
4. Arrange your flowers into your pumpkin. Floral arranging is not in my skill set, and I had to move things around and re-do the arrangement a couple times, but I was pleased with the end result. Don’t get discouraged, you’ll get it!
And now, you’re ready to entertain!