DIY: Chocolate Caramel Apples
I obviously have a serious sweet tooth and I love a good caramel apple. They remind me of when I was a kid and my dad would take me and my brother to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory (in La Jolla, not the Rocky Mountains). We were allowed to get one treat each – I would always pick a chocolate caramel apple. Lucky for me, they are very easy, albeit a little messy, to make. Here’s my simple DIY in 4 steps.
Ingredients needed (for 4):
- 4 apples + popsicle sticks
- 1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels
- 1 (10 or 12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Milk (approx 4 Tbsp)
- Toppings (i.e. sprinkles, nuts, whatever you want!)
1. Wash apples and push popsicle sticks into the apple’s center – set aside. Place unwrapped caramels in bowl with 2 Tbsp milk; Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
2. Stir caramel for 30 seconds allowing it to cool a bit. Dip each apple in bowl, covering in caramel. Place aside on wax paper or greased tinfoil to set.
Side note: No picture of Step #3 because you have to move quick and I didn’t have time to take a photo while I did this step. You shouldn’t either.
3. Place chocolate chips in bowl with 2 Tbsp milk; Microwave for 2-3 minutes on 1/2 power; stirring every 30 seconds. This can also be done using a double boiler, but I find it so much easier to melt chocolate in the microwave. Another tip: if your chocolate gets too hard, add a little more milk and continue stirring to bring it back to the proper consistency. Stirring is key.
Once your chocolate is ready, dip apples into the bowl or drizzle over apples. If you want to add toppings, now is the time to do it. Hurry!
4. Allow apples to sit in the fridge for chocolate to set. And, that’s it! Enjoy!!